There's been a lot of brief, random little things I've been meaning to post recently, but I've lately been eschewing them for spontaneous long posts. So here's a bunch of stuff.
- I stopped by Iowa City a couple days ago. It's a great town, but driving sucks, thanks to shitty drivers and rule-breaking pedestrians. Parking is also a hassle. Don't even try to think about finding free parking in downtown Iowa City. Walking around, though, is pretty enjoyable. The area is not only pretty (but not quite Ames pretty - sorry, Hawkeyes) but the odds of running into someone you know are super-high. I am not exaggerating when I say just about every time I wondered if I'd see someone I recognized - poof! There they were.
- Another great thing about getting around the city on foot is the conversations one'll inevitably catch snippets of. One that comes to mind involved a guy and girl arguing about whether sports bras allowed for "bounce." Another was a one-sided conversation - at least to me, that is. It seemed that a girl was being told via cell phone that someone close to her died. Even after walking by her for a couple of minutes, I still had no idea. Her father? Her grandfather? As silly as it sounds, I somehow came to the conclusion that it was the family dog.
- I had the chance to say hi to Allison, a friend from Central. She and her roommate live in what used to be a janitor's closet. The room is plenty spacious, however, the door won't stay open on its own. You know those janitors. Industrial strength security must be applied to prevent unlawful use of drain cleaner, Windex, and that sawdust-y stuff they sprinkle on vomit.
- After seeing a myriad of dorms from Iowa State to Iowa City, I feel as if I'm temporarily living other people's college experiences since I don't have one of my own yet. The visits are all for fun and curiosity, and yet I continue to have this nagging feeling.
- I've made it through #300-100 of the RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. I feel obligated to mention this, since I've been blogging about it, but I don't really have anything exciting to say about it.
- Speaking of college/DePaul/Chicago: the always brilliant Improv Everywhere, responsible for stunts like Frozen Grand Central, plans to bring one of its annual pranks to Chicago. This one is called the MP3 Experiment. I'm not sure where it'll be, but I do know it's going to take place on September 28 - the day before my birthday. A chance to participate in one of Improv Everywhere's stunts? Dude. Birthday gifts don't get much better.
- And two sign off, two videos. One is of a talking dog, who manages to be both cute and annoying. (And creepy.) The other is of a newscaster who is either a psychopath or has trouble separating spoken paragraphs.
- Alright, I lied. Three videos. This one comes to you from a certain Tyler Stafford describing one of the most traumatizing experiences of his life.